Milk collection is a key element, placed between production and processing.

The tanker collects the milk at the farm. The transporter then performs various tests to verify that the milk can be loaded. These tests include odor, temperature, and appearance of the milk. Samples are also taken to determine the fat, protein and lactose content of the milk.

Regular checks are also carried out, such as the number of bacteria, or a sample to test the somatic cells present in the milk.

Finally, the milk arriving at the plant is sampled again to ensure that it meets the quality criteria that are imposed. The tanker will be unloaded only if the test for antibiotics is negative.


Milk collecting in France:

On the French territory, 98% of the collected cow milk is transformed in dairies. The remaining 2% is directly transformed on the farm, into cheese or fresh dairy products such as yogurt, faisselle…

Milk production is spread over a large part of the French territory. Milk production is uneven depending on the time of the year, and the peak of collection takes place in May.

In France, we count more than 650 collection establishments. The West concentrates 50% of the national collection.
Milk offers an important capacity of valorization, and allows to obtain diversified products having a success on the domestic market and in export.

The French dairy industry is one of the world’s leading agri-food industries. With a collection of 23.7 billion liters of cow’s milk, it ranks second in Europe after Germany.